Happy Cinco de Mayo! Let’s freshen up with some ice-cold agua fresca! I made some from cantaloupe, would you care for a glass of this fruity refreshment? — Great! Here you are…
Tips for making the agua fresca
This is a super-simple recipe and doesn’t need any tricks. You don’t even have to strain the liquid if you don’t mind some pulp in your drink.
Even better, you can freeze the cantaloupe chunks beforehand and blend them into slush with the rest of the ingredients.
I’ve used erythritol crystals here as sweetener, in my opinion erythritol gives better sweetness than for example stevia alone. The erythritol crystals usually have some problems in dissolving in cold liquids, but here the blending makes them dissolve completely.
This is a refreshing thirst quencher rather than a very sweet or powerfully tasting drink. If you prefer sweeter flavor, you can add some liquid stevia to the ready drink.
- 1 lb = 450 g cantaloupe flesh (from approx. 1/2 cantaloupe melon)
- 2 1/2 cups = 600 ml cold water
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice from organic limes
- 2 tablespoons (or to taste) erythritol crystals
- Add all ingredients to a blender jar.
- Close the lid tightly and puree until smooth.
- Place a mesh strainer on a large saucepan. Pour the cantaloupe mixture to the strainer and press with a back of a spoon to save all liquid. (That liquid is now your agua fresca!)
- Fill the serving glasses with ice. Pour in the agua fresca.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply