Wake up your taste buds with this colorful and rich appetizer soup! This thick soup comes in autumnal colors, it’s hearty and full of intense flavors, so a little goes a long way.
Tips for making the soup
This is an easy soup to make. Just chop all the veggies and place them in a large saucepan with salt and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and let simmer until everything is soft and tender. Keep the lid closed and mix a few times during the whole cooking time.
I recommend a large saucepan, because the heavy cream tends to boil over when you keep the lid closed. And, it’s a good idea to keep the lid closed, since that guarantees the proper and faster cooking of the veggies. The amount of fluid doesn’t reduce too much either.
If the basil has woody stems, simply discard the stems and use just leaves. This soup benefits from an ample amount of basil, so don’t skimp on it.
If you consider the puréed soup too thick, simply return the soup back to the saucepan, add some heavy cream, mix well and bring to a boil. Let simmer for a minute or two, then just serve.
So, just chop the bell peppers…
…slice the garlic…
…and chop the basil.
Place everything — including the salt and the heavy cream — in a large saucepan…
…mix well and bring to a boil.
Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are very tender.
Purée the soup really smooth for example in blender or with immersion blender. Be careful with the hot soup!
- 1 lb = 450 g organic red bell peppers
- 5 organic garlic cloves
- 1 big bunch (≈ 1 1/3 oz = 38 g) fresh organic basil
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 cup = 240 ml organic heavy cream
- Rinse the bell peppers, pat dry, halve and discard the seeds. Chop the flesh into small pieces.
- Peel the garlic cloves and slice them.
- Chop the basil into tiny pieces.
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, or until all the veggies are soft and tender.
- Remove from the heat and purée the soup until very smooth.
- Garnish as you wish and serve.
Leave a Reply